Monday, April 9, 2012

Hands Off!

I really think the big secret to growing hair is to keep it moisturized (if you have dry hair and scalp) and to keep your hands out of it.  When I had a TWA (teeny weeny afro) I kept my hands in my hair twirling the curls, and when it grew out some I had fun gelling my hair back into puffs.  Using gel and a boar bristle brush.  I just think my hair didn't achieve its potential because I kept manipulating it.

Once I knew I would be in a foreign country (Germany) without my stylist and a lot of my hair products readily available to me I had to make some changes.  I decided to get a sew in when I 1st arrived in August.  I kept the weave in until the 1st of October.  Not sure if I could have gone longer, the hair was holding up pretty well, but I am the type of person that like to feel my scalp and the rat tail comb to scratch up under the braids was not working for me.  I took the hair down and began my routine with my shea butter mixture.

From October until February was conditioner wash on Sunday.  Two strand twist with shea butter mixture.  Twist out on Wednesday.  Dry braid out every other week on Friday night.  Ok not sure if that was clear but when my hair was in twists I would pin them in a style when leaving the house or I wore my satin bonnet under a winter hat and went about my day running errands. The every other week braid out was when I was attending a basketball game and wanted to wear my hair down.  So here are a few visuals of those styles.

Sew in weave



Dry braid out






Wearing satin bonnet under winter hats



This was it in a nutshell.  Nothing spectacular :)  I just believe minimal is best.  Oh and the dye is because I have a lot of gray hair.  It is my way to camouflage it and give me a little sass ;)
Until next time stay blessed!


2 comments:

  1. Hey Cesha!

    Have you ever considered just letting the gray grow in? I am speaking from a prosective of only having 2 known grey hairs myself. What do you use to dye it?

    Raquel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Raquel! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! No I have never considered letting it grow in. Not right now anyways. I know a few ladies that look awesome with gray/silver hair but I imagined myself like that in my 50s. For now I just use a temporary coloring system to dye my hair, either from the beauty supply, Sally's or in the salon. It doesn't last as long as permanent but it is less harsh. I just took a picture of my hair line because I am going to dye it this weekend so I will post a before and after and include the box dye I used ;) Trust me I would be salt and pepper if I let it grow in LOL. Take care!

      Delete